Monday, April 11, 2011

The Bat House and the Purple Martin Houses

I got a bat house several weeks ago, and Brian and I got it "planted" a couple of weekends ago. I didn't want to put it in concrete because I'm supposed to move it around until I'm able to attract bats. I have no idea if we put it in a good spot or not???

It survived straight up for about 3 days and then it rained and the ground got so wet, it stood at a diagonal until last weekend.

Don was nice enough to help me dig holes for the bat house and for the two purple martin houses I bought last week. We rooted around in Lowe's until we found chain link fence posts are the perfect size to slip the triangular matin house poles and the round bat house pole into. We (Don) cut the posts to 24" then we (Don) dug holes deeper than that to bury the posts into. Then we (Don) poured dry concrete around that. That way, the posts sit below ground so if I have to move any of the houses, I won't have anything sticking above ground to have to mow around.

The martin houses were easier to put together than the poles! Actually one of the poles was missing the snaps so I had to call the manufacturer to have more sent.

The houses are SOOOOOO stinking cute! I got them at Tractor Supply. Here's Iggy Pop posing with them:
And here's one of them in place:

And here's the bat house.  I SO hope I attract some bats.  I think they're adorable (and they eat lots of bugs).

No comments:

Post a Comment